Sick of sensitive skin? Find it’s a constant no matter what the season? Long for beautifully hydrated glowing skin? You are not alone! We are here to answer each of our customers skin woes, so read on and learn how to keep red, itchy, sensitive skin under control.
Oh and don’t forget! Even if you only get sensitivity symptoms every so often, our sensitive skin range of products can also help to protect and restore your skin’s natural moisture barrier and soothe every skin type.
Is my skin definitely sensitive?
Sadly sensitive skin is not a skin ‘type’ that is restricted to a small percentage of people. We all will experience skin sensitivities on occasion whether we are generally prone to it or not. This is because there are soo many factors that can affect our complexion on a daily basis. However if you are experiencing areas of dryness, blemishes and redness, your skin feels irritable and stingy you do suffer from more severe sensitive skin.
Why do I have sensitive skin?
Everyone’s skin is different and sensitive skin can sadly be the outcome of a number of different reasons;
- Genetics – your genes have a significant influence on your skin because skin is made up of so many proteins.
- Dirt and pollution – hard to avoid, dirt such as dust, car fumes etc…can be absorbed by the skin’s natural barrier irritating and weakening it.
- A change in season and therefore weather – warm and cold weather as well as the sun’s rays can damage your skin barrier.
- Hard water (yes this can really cause skin irritation!) – due to the high levels of minerals like iron, magnesium and calcium, hard water is highly alkaline which effects our skin’s natural pH balance.
- The wrong products – using the wrong products can cause skin to become irritated and sore. Avoid over cleansing & avoid potent or harsh ingredients including fragrance, colouring and alcohol.
- Your lifestyle – Smoking, drinking, lack of sleep, travel can all impact your skin.
- Stress – This can be a combination of factors which can lead to an imbalance in your hormones in turn causing your skin to slow down, not repairing your barrier as quickly as it should.
- Diet – Many sugar rich or fatty foods contain skin irritants. Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
Will I always have sensitive skin or can I prevent it?
Sensitive skin isn’t ideal when you want to look and feel your best – but don’t worry with the right skincare and clear beauty routine you can actually reduce and control skin sensitively permanently.
Are there specific ingredients that I should look for that will help calm my skin?
Look for natural products. Soothing, calming and nurturing ingredients including camomile, calendula, aloe, lavender, propolis will all help to overcome skin sensitivities.
So now you know what can cause sensitive skin, and specific ingredients to look out for, how can you decrease the sensitivity and improve the look and feel of your skin on a daily basis?
While we can’t change the environment, we can improve the quality of our lifestyle and diet which will help but, choosing the right products will have the quickest and most long-lasting effect.
We recommend the following products, so give them a go and see why so many of our customers rave about them.