It’s no secret hands are tough! Like our feet, the skin is thicker meaning hands can bounce back from the odd pan or curling iron burn, withstand household chemicals and be used day in day out for a myriad of activities with little discomfort to the skin. However just like our face and body we need to look after our hands to prevent them becoming dry, chapped, cracked and uncomfortable!
Not only are they useful little things but hands are one of the first places that betray your age! Yet another reason why we want to keep our hands supple and smooth all year round, not to mention mani’s look much more polished on a smoother, healthier hand.
Here are tips to care for your hands this Winter (and season after season)
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! In the cooler months there is less moisture in the air and this strips our own skin of hydration. Keep a hand a cream on your desk, by your beside and in your hand bag. For an absolute hydrating pleasure try the Pevonia Myoxy Caviar Hand & Foot Cream. It applies like liquid silk and your hands with literally glow with a healthy radiance without a greasy finish. Caviar, Marine Collagen and Retinol blend to create the ultimate anti-aging formula. Decadence at its finest!
- Pat hands dry, don’t rough a towel over freshly washed hands. So you’re not stripping more moisture from hands after washing them, gently pat them dry and immediately follow with a hand cream.
- If you find the sensation of moisturiser on your hands simply too slippery try squeezing the cream onto the back of your hands and use the backs of the hands to rub the cream in. This way front of your hands stay free of moisturiser – although I do suggest you add a touch a moisturiser to care for this part of your hands too.
- Is repeatedly washing your hands in winter too harrowing? Keep a hand sanitiser on your desk so you can quickly pump this onto your hands before you eat lunch and keep hands clean while colds and flus are lurking about.
- Put your Exfoliator to multi-use! Do you notice after you scrub your face or body with a granular exfoliator, the front of your hands are silky smooth? That’s because as you are exfoliating your face and body, your hands are also benefiting from a nice little scrub. Every time you exfoliate your skin be sure to rub a small amount over both the front and back of the hands. You’ll notice how well your hand cream will soak in afterwards! Try the Pevonia Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser for face and then for hands! Jojoba beads gently lift dead skin cells and reveal a softer, more radiant complexion.
- Create a new routine to incorporate moisturising your hands. A good rule of thumb (yes, pun intended) is to moisturise hands just before bed time to let your hands soak in all the nourishing and hydrating properties overnight. Pevonia Multi-Active Hand Cream is fantastic to apply morning, night and 10 times in between!
- As tempting as it may be, water temperatures when washing your hands to luke warm. The hot water will dry out hands and only relieve cold, dry hands momentarily.
Remember if your hands feel dry, they are already too dry! Prevention is better than cure and you want to keep your hands soothe, supple and soft all year round.
by: Kanya K.